Image Map

Saturday, May 17, 2014

A Little More Balance

 After attending an amazing night (which was conveniently called Amazing) with Joyce Meyer speaking at my church, I came away with some inspiration I really needed to hear and you may too…so here goes!

Sometimes we need a break.

Yes, I needed that.  1 Peter 5:8 NIV says to “be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” Joyce talked about the need to be well-balanced so that the enemy can’t get in.  There needs to be a balance between worship, work, rest and play where we attempt to live in God’s rhythm for our life which creates joy.

I know many of us struggle with "people pleasing".  Joyce really got to me when she talked about how although it is important to do things for other people, it is also important to do things for ourselves (and we can’t feel guilty about it!).  We can’t be any good to anyone if we are burnt out, complaining, bitter and resentful.  If we don’t take care of ourselves, and don’t receive the fruits of our labor, we can become bitter and then feel guilt. 

We can’t live day to day with the “poor me” mentality either. Thinking, “I’m so busy, I have so much to do, no one understands”. Well, that’s right, we can’t expect people to understand what we do.  But we can do things for God and not for praise from people to maintain joy in our labor.  Joyce said it best: "We can’t be addicted to having a bad attitude" by going over how horrible or busy our day has been.  What happens when a friend calls us and we say “I’m resting…” (does anybody really do this?) I don’t know about you, but I don't ever say that because I would feel guilty! But Joyce's point is that we shouldn't feel guilty about feeling the need to create balance in our lives.  I’m learning that in being responsible for our own joy, we have to create balance by taking enough time to rest, laugh, play and learn how to celebrate little daily victories.

This for me was a hint to make a change.  We make our schedules, and we are the only ones who can change it.  So I was gladly ready to put to use Joyce’s advice and prescription for increasing joy by creating a few more “me” days!


The greatest gift you can give yourself and others is a healthy you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment